Sunday, October 18, 2009

Inexpensive Quilt Storage System

I have been searching for ways to store my quilts that don't involve folding. I have been creating quite a few quilts, thanks to my varied topics for my lectures. Up until now, if they were not hanging on my walls, they have been piled on the beds in our extra bedrooms. Clearly, a temporary solution.

My son is getting married next Spring. So we are doing what everyone does when there is a big family event coming. You look around the house and all of a sudden you realize that it's time to spruce it up. Things are looking a little tired after 17 years. OMG - did I say 17 years? I can't believe we have been here for that long. Where does the time go?

Anyway, putting on the backburner the types of things that require a lot of effort, thought and money, I have been focusing on those long ago deserted boys' bedrooms. So now I have to find a place for my quilts that have been residing on those beds. Inexpensive really appeals to me. I have used those foam swim noodles, available at the dollar store, to transport a quilt, unfolded. But what if I used them for storage. Not a unique idea, but what if I put many quilts on one noodle?

So I laid out a bunch of my smaller quilts (with the aid of my helper). Then I placed the longest one on the bottom, laid down the noodle and rolled.
Finally, I found a piece of fabric in my stash that I will never use and wrapped the roll in it.

And those little holes in the ends of the noodle were the perfect little place to tuck in the ends of that cover fabric.
I have done this with a few noodles and have piled them on a shelf in my closet. The best part is there will be no fold marks when I need the quilts for lectures/exhibits. I haven't rolled any of my larger quilts yet. The noodles are only 48" long. To store the longer quilts, my plan is to use a dowel as a joiner by inserting it into the holes in the end of 2 noodles. Tape the noodles together with a little duct tape, and voila! Another thrifty solution.

4 comments:

  1. great idea, Cheryl! Depending on where you put them and how many, you COULD actually put some nice fabric around them, coordinate the different covers, until you need that fabric. Probably not worth the changing effort but could be nice to see fabric you are pondering. Are you marking the outside so you know which quilts are in which roll?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is an interesting way to store quilts!
    Thanks for the tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Are you covering the noodles with anything? just wondering if there is the possibility of color transfer from the noodle as I have seen some trsnsfer from the noodles in the pool bin to other toys, but that is in the hot and also post pool use.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I'd love to hear from you.