I had 3 1/2 yds of one PFD fabric and some smaller pieces of some other PFD fabrics. I also found an apron at Target that was 100% cotton and I had a PFD t-shirt that I had bought when I was at Pro Chem. I also decided to play around with dyeing some threads. I like to use these plastic rods from my kids' K'nex. Aren't I glad that I decided to save them for potential grandchildren and now they have been repurposed.
To limit the amount of dye that ends up on my hands, I like to use plastic baggies. If I want a mottled look, I just put in the fabric, pour in the dye mixture, then the soda ash solution and I leave it. If I want a more solid look, I mush, mush, mush it.
Ta dah - the results: