Friday, January 20, 2012

Wonderful Wonderfil #3

"It Takes A Village" is the 3rd piece that I created to showcase Wonderfil threads. 

I use a heavyweight stabilizer such as Pelltex II to achieve unusual edges like the roof top shape. It makes the whole piece very stiff.


The pink leaves of this tree are 3-D.  I only stitch them down the middle, leaving the sides of the leaves free to curl up and be leaf-like.


I used rayon thread (Splendor) to machine blanket stitch all of the little houses.

The buttons are tied on using an 8 wt rayon thread (Razzle).  I use a drop of Fray Chek to keep the knots of this slippery thread from coming loose.
Since these pieces are decorative and not meant to be washed, I often use the foam letters from the craft store.  Moat of them have sticky backs that help to keep them in place while I whipstitch them down. 

Here's a close-up.  I love using Dazzle.  It's a heavyweight rayon thread with a strand of metallic thread that gives it a touch of sparkle.

I call these embellished triangles hanging down from the bottom, jewels. I usually add beads and/or charms to them.  For this piece I also added some old keys to the bottom using Wonderfil's 12 wt cotton thread.  (Thank you to my friend Barbara for giving me all those fabulous old keys.)

Wonderfil will be displaying all three of my pieces in their booth at a bunch of sewing and quilting shows both in the US and Canada.  If you want to see the other 2 pieces, click:  "I Love Paris" or  "My Wish".


5 comments:

  1. Cheryl,

    You make them so priceless by adding your own charm! In this little piece, there is so much to see. I like the keys and the name.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely darling, Cheryl. You do have such a knack for making everything your own unique style. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this!!! I would not of thought to use the foam letters for a banner. Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fun piece and love the unique shapes. I like using fusibles for wall hangings and art pieces.

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great idea with the foam letters. I love the keys too.They add a lot of interest.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I'd love to hear from you.