Sunday, February 19, 2012

A Mosaic Temple


I have fallen in love with mosaics, especially those in a town called Acco (or Akko or Acre) in Israel at The Or Torah Synagogue. 



I have also befriended a man called Zion Badasche, even though we have trouble communicating.  He speaks Hebrew and French.  I speak English and the tiniest bit of French.  He came to Acco about 60 years ago  from Tunisia with a mission to create a synagogue covered with mosaics.

Behind us is a mosaic of the town of Acco.

Some of the mosaics depict stories from the old testament.
There are lots of mosaics depicting flowers, birds, animals and fish mentioned in the bible.




Viewed from a 2nd floor balcony.




 and different Israeli cities.

Not one wall , section of floor or stairwell was left uncovered.  And Mr.Badasche told me that I should practice speaking Hebrew 1 hour a day and when I return next year, we will be able to communicate in Hebrew! (I'm not sure that will make it to my to do list.)




5 comments:

  1. These are great photos, Cheryl. I see you are also a good photographer. I don't know how to reach you, so I'm still waiting for your phone call.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome!!!! If you don't want to branch into real mosaic and still stay in fibers: do I have the project for you. I can't wait to show you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cheryl!

    These are stunning mosaics! I am inspired just by seeing the pictures. I bet you can't wait to come home and create something from these inspirations.
    Wow..wow..wow!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous mosaics! Learning new languages is supposed to keep our minds young...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Are you tempted to try mosaics now? Beautiful!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I'd love to hear from you.