Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Wednesday's Wanderings #13 - Couching in Lancaster


After spending 4 days sitting at my sewing machine, demonstrating couching at The AQS Lancaster quilt show, I came up with a few ideas about how I could use this technique to fit quilting. (You can read more about that here.) Many people use couching to add decorative thread to fabric that can then be used to create clothing.  That's really not my style.  

I spent a lot of the time using one of my hand dyed fabrics with Wonderfil's Dazzle as the decorative thread. I couched it down with a green rayon thread.  I backed the fabric with batting so that it was quilted at the same time as I was couching.  (Alternatively, back the fabric with interfacing.)
 These green wavy lines stitched on this turquoise hand dyed fabric made me think  of  both the ocean with seaweed and a field filled with flowers.  I decided to go with the flower idea.
I created fusible appliques from silk dupioni and using a Wonderfil 12 weight cotton thread called Spagetti (Where do they get these names?) stitched it down using a blanket stitch by machine

and a primitive stitch by hand.

3 comments:

  1. ooooohh....I like it. Better than putting into the center of the other. Was going to suggest cutting in into sections if you were set on that layering.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it feels very spring like too. Love the pink flowers against the sky blue!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Cheryl, I am home from Lancaster and have unpacked my array of threads (and other goodies I bought). Thanks for your demos! I remember that piece! Now I have to give it a try!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I'd love to hear from you.