I missed last week's WW. I knew it would happen eventually and was just hoping it would not be a slippery slope and the end of my WWs. But my friend Hattie told me to take a Mulligan. In golfing terms, that's a "do over". And that's just one of the things I have learned on my daily morning walks at Ridley Creek State Park.
. The park was an estate at one point with a stable, several stone houses where the help lived and a mansion. Most mornings, rain or shine, heat or snow, I meet at least one friend at this woodsy park. We walk a paved 5 mile loop, solve all the world's problems, share recipes, stories about our families and talk about crazy TV shows. Often, it is my therapy session.
As we enter the loop part of the walk, we cross the creek. There is wisteria growing up a few of the trees. It is amazingly beautiful. Or I should say it WAS beautiful. A few years ago, I guess they decided that the wisteria was invasive and they cut it down. We were devastated.
This year it has finally started to return. It will take a few more years for it to return to its former glory. I hope that the park workers find something else to do to occupy their time and will not cut it down again.
So the return of the wisteria has become the topic of this week's WW.
I decided to make 3-dimensional wisteria leaves. I do enjoy making "fabric foliage" and like it when it adds to the depth of a piece. Some of you have asked how I create them.
I started with a green batik. Batiks are tightly woven and therefore don't fray as much as some other cottons.
I iron paper backed fusible web to half of the batik.
Remove the paper and fuse the fabric to itself.
Then I iron a piece of freezer paper to the fused double sided batik. If I wanted all of the leaves to be identical, I would have made a template to draw the leaf shapes. I also could have cut out the leaves free hand without the freezer paper. This time, I didn't want the leaves to be identical, but I wanted them to be about the same size. So I drew the shapes and then cut them out.
The freezer paper peels off easily.
Then I use free motion quilting to attach the leaves. I don't get too close to the edges because I want them to curl up a bit.
This is my finished block. I used the buttons that I had and quite truthfully, it looks like grapes, not wisteria. The leaves are not grape leaves. It's really all about the color. As soon as I can, I will look for some lilac colored buttons.
I am heading to the wholesale quilt show in Kansas City today. I hope to share anything that I find that's new and interesting. I'll blog is I can. Maybe I'll find some lilac colored buttons!