Monday, July 16, 2012

Some Eye Candy

Quilt Alliance

The Quilt Alliance, founded in 1993,  is an organization whose mission is to preserve the American quilt heritage.It is a labor of love, especially for those individuals who gather the information to record. I  participated in one of their projects, called Quilters' Save Our Stories or QSOS.  I was interviewed in 2006 about my quilt "Leaving Us" that was part of a traveling exhibit, Alzheimer's Art Quilt Initiative. My interview and many others are now preserved  in the American Folklife Center at the Library of Congress.


 This year the Quilt Alliance held a contest with the theme:"Home Is Where The Quilt Is". Each participant could interpret the them as they saw fit but the quilt had to have a given house shape measuring 15" wide x 19 1/2" tall. 


This contest was right up my alley.  I really planned on participating, but.... you know.  The deadline was June 2012.  But, the next best thing to participating is viewing all of the winners who were just announced and the other entries.  They are just fabulous.  I got permission to share a bunch of the photos here.  But I have to tell you that the photos are courtesy of the Quilt Alliance and the design copyright for each quilt is maintained by the individual artist.

There were 119 entries.  I'm sharing some of my favorites here. 
You can see the rest of them here:  See more quilts  The exciting news is that you can own one of these.  They will be auctioned off in November to raise funds for the  Quilt Alliance. Check the link for more info.

"A Place To Grow"
Ellen Kane

"A Quilter Lives Here"
Lashonne Abel

"Bird House"
Pamela Allen

"Chickadees At Home"
Cynthia St. Charles

"Dare to Live Your Dreams"
Lynn Dell Swapp    

"Home Is Where Your Story Begins"
Jamie Fingal



"Quilting in the City House"
Karen Bennick    

"Quilting Makes My Heart Blossom"
Margarita Korioth    

 "When Life Gives You Scraps"
JoAnn Hoffman

And yippeee - Martingale is sending me 2, yes 2, Ruby Beholders, so there are 2 winners:

Upstate Lisa
and Hillbilly Tonya

Congratulations!!

5 comments:

  1. I love the pieces that were submitted for the challenge, such a fun theme and open to so many interpretations. I have not seen the birdhouse, love that one too.

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the houses. I have a red viewer but its just a plexiglass rectangle, love using it - I seem to have lots of mediums!
    Debbi F

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really creative quilts! I love the one "Home Is Where Your Heart Begins".

    ReplyDelete
  4. Has JoAnn Hoffman ever lived in Denver, Colorado? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I'd love to hear from you.