Saturday, January 12, 2013

Watercolor Class

I thought it would be fun and mind expanding to take a watercolor class this Winter.  Key West is home to many painters and I just love the watercolors with local flavor. 
The local art center is called The Studios of Key West (TSKW.org). 
 It was the Key West armory, built around 1900 and is a very cool looking building.

 It's a great old building.  There are artist's studios, lots of classes and exhibits.
 There are also concerts.  It is definitely the place to be if you are interested in learning.


I decided to expand my horizons during this winter sojourn and take a watercolor class.  My instructor is a local watercolor painter named Sean Callahan.    Can you see the mirror slanted over his worktable? That's how everyone could see his demo.
 I know that my desires and expectations were high.  But I was seriously worried about my talent!

I don't know why I am sharing my first attempt.  I wanted to paint palm trees with bicycles leaning against them, and I painted marbles. 
 I am supposed to paint a weekful of marbles.  It's always about the basics!
Stay tuned.


2 comments:

  1. I was thinking of taking a class, we do have some in the area.
    I am not the type who likes to paint simple things over and over, but like you said, you need to do the basics first.

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have to walk before you can run. I like your first attempt. The two in the front with the highlight and the shadow are looking very three dimensional. I hope you will share all your attempts on your journey to those palm trees! Have fun with it!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I'd love to hear from you.