Thursday, August 29, 2013

Readiscovery

How often do you come across a book that you can't put down? 
I was a voracious reader from my childhood through adulthood, until I became a Mother, and then a quilter.  I hardly ever picked up a book then, unless it was some type of art or quilt book.  I would crawl into bed at the end of the day exhausted and just fall asleep.  If I read a few pages, I would have no memory of what I had read the next time I picked up the book. 
 Then, I would have to start all over again.  Press: REFRESH.
 
A couple of years ago, I started reading again.  I did it to fill up the time when I used to stitch by hand.  I don't do a lot of hand stitching these days, so I needed something to do while I was  traveling or waiting to see doctors or to fill some type of empty time. 
 
I would look to my friends for recommendations.  It turns out that it's like most things in life, there are some friends who have the same taste in reading as you do and some who do not.  I have one friend whose book recommendations are wonderful, but I don't go to her for restaurant picks.  If  she likes a restaurant I usually do not and vice versa. Taste does not necessarily cross lines.
 
Ever since I read the Stieg Larsson trilogy starting with The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo, I have not found a book that grabbed me so much that I would rather be reading instead of quilting.  Lots of books had great beginnings and great endings but really seemed to drag in the middle.  I just felt it was a lot of blah, blah, blah just to fill up the pages.  That is until I started reading The Gravity of Birds by Tracy Guzeman.
 
The cover art  is beautiful.  The story flip flops between the past and the present. It's about the relationship of 2 sisters and the link they both had with a very talented artist.  In addition to the unraveling of secrets, the author's descriptive passages of the artist's paintings really opened my eyes as to how art historians see more than just a picture.
 I loved this book and have to say it is one of my favorite books of all time.
 
How do you find books to read?  I have started checking www.Goodreads.com.  After you have rated a bunch of  books, a list of suggestions are developed for you, plus you can see what your friends are reading. 
Become my friend  by clicking here, and let me know if you have found any must read books. 
 I'd love to know.

1 comment:

  1. I'm addicted to audiobooks. I listen while I cook, clean, sew, walk the dog, etc. I pretty much always have my ipod with me. I guess it makes me feel like I'm multitasking. I know I wouldn't sit down and read a book. It's not for everybody, but I love it. On Audible, I look at the top downloads, highly rated books, and good reviews about the narrator. Lately, I've been drawn to nonfiction/true crime.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I'd love to hear from you.