Thursday, September 19, 2013

A Quick Baby Gift

I am definitely in baby mode, but this time the gift is not for my new grandson Henry. 
I'm meeting a friend for lunch.  Her baby is 6 weeks old and
 I just wanted to bring a "little something". 
 
My goal was to make a gift from what I had on hand.  Surely, with shelves bulging with fabric, I should be able to do this.  My time was limited, so quick and easy was important.  My friend Kelly made this cute onesie for Henry. 

 
It was quick and adorable, but it meant I would have had to leave my house and buy a onesie.
 
So I chose to make a burp cloth.  The only thing I needed was some paper to make a pattern.  I normally have a roll of newsprint for pattern making, but I am all out.  So what did I have that I could use? A paper grocery bag.
 
 
I cut it open

and cut out half a pattern.  I designed it with a curve so it can snug around  the neck.
Then I placed it on the fold of a 9"x22" rectangle.  Do you recognize this fabric? I used it for Henry's receiving blanket. I love this fabric.  My husband suggested that I make myself some pajamas from it.  I  bought all they had at my Joann's, but it wasn't very much.  I checked a couple of others without any luck.  My friends checked their Joann's without finding it either.  A lot of people must have liked it.  If you find it, PLEASE let me know.  I would love more of it.
I chose 2 very soft fabrics ,minkee and flannel, so either side would feel wonderful on a  baby's cheek.  I appliqued the baby's initial on the minkee side, before I placed the 2 fabrics right sides together.
Minkee is very slippery.  The key to success is to pin like crazy and use a 1/2" seam allowance.
I also used  a walking foot
to help to keep the fabric from slipping.
After sewing, I clipped the inner curves.
I turned it right side out and stitched close to the edge to close the opening.

 
 
Follow on Bloglovin



2 comments:

Thanks for stopping by. I'd love to hear from you.