Thursday, January 9, 2014

Time For A Challenge

I really enjoy the idea of challenging myself, whether it is a commitment to growth or discipline. In the past, these have included my Wednesday's Wanderings blocks and concurrent blog posts in 2012, riding my bicycle across the state of NC, losing 135 lbs and relosing 60 lbs five years later. The idea of artistic growth appeals to me right now, but because of my Henry commitments, I want to keep it simple.
I bought myself a small sketchbook and I have this great set of markers. My plan is to combine lettering, sketching and journaling. If there is a name for that, please let me know. Eventually I'll make up my own name. It is to be a daily ritual not to last more than 15-20 minutes. I'm not the best at drawing, but I do know that practice leads to improvement. My plan isn't to be Leonardo DaVinci. I want to keep to my own style and keep it simple, whimsical and in the vein of folk art. (My inspiration is the watercolor art journaling of Jane Davila, www.janedavila.com)
So, once a week I will share my pages with a humble heart. By sharing, I am making that commitment to keep on going and maybe by New Years Eve 2014, I will be proud of my lettering and sketching. It's all experimentation and these are my rules:
1. Do it daily
2. The page is to include a word, a sketch and writing.
3. The three items listed above do not have to be related.
4. The page should not take more than 15-20 minutes.
5. No erasing.
6. I will share it weekly with no explanations necessary.
7. Play, experiment, enjoy and no excuses.
So with those rules in mind, here is my journal and my first week of pages.












 




9 comments:

  1. This should be fun. I wish I was sketching everyday. I don't know if it's just me or pictures did not come through?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Who says you can't draw! Looks good to me! Your unique style is very evident. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I came back to see your sketches. Cool!!! Will they be in a quilt some day?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for the inspiration. This is a great idea. And, a hug to you. Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful idea, looks as if it might become a bit of a diary as well. Good on you for keeping to it so far.
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very interesting project. I think it will be great to look back on as time goes by. Your drawings are not bad at all. I can tell what they are! Hope whatever made 'crap hit the fan' is soon better for you. Looking forward to seeing more.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like the project you have undertaken. The year I started college was the year I also started keeping a journal. Unfortunately I didn't keep it up. I enjoyed your pictures. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I'd love to hear from you.