Thursday, February 8, 2018

Red & White Inspiration

As a redhead I have had an aversion to red most of my life.  We were told not to wear  it because it clashed with our hair. I do remember as a young child, having a red room. The carpet was red and I also remember having a record player with a red cover that zipped to close.  My mother was not afraid of color.  But, I never wore red and I never used red in any of my quilts, unless it was a patriotic quilt.  I did admire others who wore red or made beautiful quilts using red fabric. 

In 2011, there was an amazing exhibit in NYC with 650 red and white quilts on display in a most unusual setting.  It was called "Infinite Variety: Three centuries of red and white quilts".  I took the bus up from Philadelphia to New York with a few friends. When I walked into the  Park Ave Armory, I was overcome with emotion.  The sheer vision of all of these two color quilts hanging from the ceiling spiraling down to the floor, was breathtaking and brought me to tears. 

That was more than 6 years ago.  It inspired me and from then on, a red & white quilt was on my bucket list.  Now I can finally check it off. Here's my original pattern, Funkytown 

and meet Funkytown Version 2.0


I love this quilt.  It is so dramatic in scrappy red and white fabrics.  Funkytown is one of my Curvalicious patterns, but instead of it having a vertical orientation, it is block based, 16 blocks.


Is a Red & White quilt on your bucket list?  Did you see the quilt exhibit in NYC?
If you want to read more about my visit to the exhibit and see more of the quilts, 






Follow on Bloglovin

7 comments:

  1. Yea for RED! Fond memories of NYC trip to see that exhibit. Did you hear they just made emojis for redheads!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Red and white is on my bucket list...I have a whole book of quilts on my Amazon wish list. I love red, but don't wear it either. I'm not a redhead, but I have a redhead's complexion. Wish I could wear it, but it makes me look sickly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your red/white quilt just may be your loveliest quilt to date, IMHO. Just wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this one! I'm a redhead and love bright colors, including red! Where do I find a pattern, or instructions for Funkytown? I have your curvalicious ruler! I'm going to finally use it for this, I've been collecting pinks for a quilt for my daughter!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I'd love to hear from you.