Friday, October 9, 2009

Blogger On Line Fall Quilt Festival

Blogger's On-Line Fall Festival - This is my quilt: Family Musings in Blue


This is my first time participating in the on-line blogger's quilt Festival. To view more of the quilts click on this link, The Blogger's Quilt Festival. or the icon on my sidebar. I have only had a blog since February and I am very excited about participating and being part os this on-line community. This piece, called "Family Musings in Blue", was made to celebrate my family. It is really like a modern day crazy quilt in that it has many sections and lots of hand stitching and beading. The sun arch above the quilt is covered with beads and was result from inspiration from the Broadway Show, Fiddler On The Roof.
The song, "Sunrise. Sunset" was in my brain as I was trying to stitch my feelings for my family into this piece. Lyrics like :
"Is this the little girl I carried?
Is this the little boy at play ?
I don't remember growing older,
when did they?"
My family has grown, and it sure is bittersweet to let go and let them fly on their own. Here are some close-ups of some of the sections. This sections is made of hearts, covered with vintage buttons. The background is done by hand with chicken scratch.
This section shows what is hidden behind the doors along the bottom edge of the quilt. It's photos of my family.
And here's another section. The white squares are actually the old fashioned Shrinky Dinks material. It is now called Graffix Film. You can print on it and then shrink it in the oven. Before I shrink it, I punch holes along the edges. After shrinking I have small holes that I can then use to stitch the plastic onto my quilt. For this quilt, I included the story of the quilt on the plastic squares.

27 comments:

  1. I love this. The colors are so calming and my eye keeps wandering around taking it all in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh...
    Oh...
    What an incredible treasure to find! You're so clever and so incredibly gifted with creativity! I absolutely, positively, fabulously love it! Thank you for sharing it with us!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an ingenious way to celebrate your family, lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW. Amazing. Beautiful...this is so wonderful I specnt 5 minutes just staring at it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been checking all the quilts listed, I still have a lot to see, but so far yours is my favorite. A hug from Mexico

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful! One of the nicest art quilts I have ever seen!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your quilt and it story are both wonderful. I like how you used fabric to express your family story.

    ReplyDelete
  8. WoW--I don't have any more words.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such an amazing quilt!!! The detail is fabulous. I love the hearts and beading at the top. I, too, have only been blogging for a little while, and have enjoyed discovering all the many interesting and creative blogs.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your quilt is wonderful. I love that you put so much meaning into it. What a treaure for your family to have.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love it. What an inspirational piece. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely idea. it really is soooo nice!!!!!! Great Job

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is sooo awesome! this will be treasured for generations! really inspires me to do a long-term project like this! thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  14. That is so original and beautiful and creative- just wow!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is such an incredible quilt. Thank you for telling us the story.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Gorgeous! Love the colors - the quilt is stunning...

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a FUN and intruiguing quilt. I am curious about the shrinking parts with words. Very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh wow, this quilt is so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  19. A stunning quilt ..... beautiful bead work .... gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a neat assortment of techniques; it all pulls together beautifully! It's a gorgeous piece.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love the blues..and the story. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  22. Sorry I didn't get to your quilt 'til now. I'm still working my way through the entries. I love this quilt for so many reasons: it's blue, it's not a regular shape, it has embellishment, it has surface dimension, it has spirals which are goddess symbols to me.. I would love to make a quilt like this but haven't quite been able to make the leap yet. Absolutely amazing work!

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a fabulous innovative quilt- I love how you used squares to write the story of the quilt and all the additional embellishments that you added to it. It is a really lovely design too.
    Thanks for sharing your wonderful piece.
    Regards,
    Anna

    ReplyDelete
  24. What a treasure and family heirloom you have created! I love it's originality and three dimensional qualities too. Your hidden photos and shrinky dink messages are quite clever! Thanks for sharing this. : )

    ReplyDelete
  25. Cheryl, this quilt is absolutely amazing! I love the calm, pretty color scheme and all the little details. The shrinky dinks are my favorite! I love those! Beautiful. Simply beautiful!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I'd love to hear from you.