Friday, September 9, 2011

Tips For A Quick Quilt Label

Often I am asked about how I create my labels.  I have gotten pretty good about putting a label on each quilt as I finish it.  It is because I have devised a process that works for me. I prefer to attach the label to the quilt backing before the quilt is quilted, so the label cannot be removed.  It is pretty easy and quick.  It is takes me less time to make a label than write this post.  I use my word processing program (Microsoft Word) and fabric sheets that are pre-treated for putting through an inkjet printer.
Step1.  Print the label
Open your word processing program and type, at the minimum your name, date and where you can be reached just in case your quilt gets lost.  Then add any other info you want included, especially if it is a gift for a special occassion. I also add a photo or piece of clip art.  In this case, I included the tile that inspired this quilt.   About 2 years ago, I decided to add what type of batting is inside.  I can then see how a certain type of batting acts over time.  After printing follow the directions that come with the pre-treated fabric.  Trim the label with a 1/4" seam allowance and remove the backing paper.

Step 2.  Frame out the label
Cut a strip of fabric 1 1/2" wide. Cut 2 strips equal to the measurement of the top and bottom.  Sew it on with a 1/4" seam allowance.  Press open.  Measure the distance from top to bottom and cut 2 strips for the sides.  Sew to the sides and then press open.

Step 3.  Prepare corner triangles
Cut 4 squares that measure 2"x2".

Step 4.  Sew the squares to each corner
Position a square in each corner and sew across it diagonally.

Step 5.  Press open to form the triangles
 aligning the edges of the square with the label.

Step 7.  Trim
Using a roatry cutter and a ruler, open the triangle and trim the fabric 1/4" from the seam.

Step 8.  Prepare For Applique
Cut a piece of paper backed fusible web such as Heat n Bond or Wonder Under the same size as the label.

Step 9.  Fuse
Iron the fusible web to the back of the label following the manufacturer's directions.

Step 10.  Trim
Trim the label so that the side borders measure 1".  This will ensure a good seal on the edges.

Step 11.  Fuse
Remove the paper and fuse the label to the right side of the quilt backing. 

Step 12.  Stitch
Stitch around the label.  I use a blanket stitch.  You can also use a top stitch, zig zag or any type of decorative stitch.

Step 13.  Finished

11 comments:

  1. The label is beautiful and nice to have one that you made, just to fit the quilt.

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great tips, Cheryl! I should label my quilts..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great tip to have the label on the back prior to quilting...makes it impossible (well, at least really, really difficult) for it to be removed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the step by step directions. Very clear. Even if I hand print my label I can do the rest and it will save me time and be more secure.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is a great way to put on a label and it looks so nice.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't labeled most of my work to date because I never learned how or, in the early days, didn't think my work was good enough to label. Now I see how uncomplicated it is - and how to create a label that pops! Thanks for sharing this. Now I'm full of ideas!
    (Btw, like the name you chose for this quilt!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great tutorial! I usually forget that I want to quilt the label along with the quilt top. I sign the quilt top with my name and date and location with Pigma pen, under the label. Your labels are as fun as your quilts!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are encouraging me to get a little more creative with my labels!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Absolutely the mist beautiful label I have seen. It would make a good submission for quilting Arts or the SAQA Journal.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I certainly like your idea! Thank you for the good explanation and photos!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great label option. I also like putting my label on before quilting and often piece a strip into the quilt back to do that. But this is a great option for when I want to make a special label but don't want to have to hand sew it on afterwards. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I'd love to hear from you.