Friday, May 26, 2017

Stitchography


This Friday, I am tickled to share my Stitchography interview with Heidi Boyd. She makes the most adorable stuffed fairies, unicorns, animals and so many other cute softies and she makes kits for us to make them too! And I think I want to live in her studio!

1. Please introduce yourself (actual and professional name) and describe your areas of expertise
Hi! I'm Heidi Boyd (doing business as Heidi Boyd LLC) and I'm passionate about creating. I manufacture all-inclusive stitching kits that are guaranteed to make you smile. I've authored fifteen craft books on topics ranging from jewelry making to sewing. I'm lucky to paint licensed designs for Red Rooster fabrics and OESD machine embroidery. 

2. What is your background and how did you arrive at your current job(s)
From day one I've loved art making, I grew up in a family where that was encouraged and every holiday was handmade. I was fortunate to pursue a fine art degree in painting and drawing. I began my professional career as an art director for New England lifestyle magazines (this predated desktop publishing). As a newlywed I moved to the Midwest where I began teaching art at the Des Moines Art Center. That's where I connected with Better Homes and Gardens and started contributing projects to their books and magazines. Freelancing for publications led to writing my own craft books. After fourteen titles, I launched my all-inclusive stitching kit business. Creating my own product lines opened the door to licensed fabric and machine embroidery opportunities.  

3. How many hours a week do you devote to your job?
I work more than forty hours a week on my creative business. It's probably best I don't keep track of the exact time. I enjoy the mix of jobs: drawing, sewing, writing, photography, ordering supplies, kit packing, shipping and social media posting. If I'm not in the mood for one thing, there's always another job to tackle. I take on thinking jobs early in the day. When I'm exhausted I sit and make needle packs for our kits with a movie on in the background. 

4. Where do you physically work? 
For years I worked on the dining room table which let me keep an eye on the kids, but it necessitated packing everything away before meals. Once our older boys left to college I reclaimed the space over the two car garage and transformed it into a functional studio where I pack kits.  I love the flexibility of working from home, I can leave for school events and pick ups and make up the time later. 

5. What do you sell and how do you sell it? (It can be a service)
I offer five all-inclusive stitching kit lines and a selection of PDF patterns. My goal is to make sophisticated design simple and approachable. My popular animal softie kits are the cornerstone of the business. Felt applique hoop kits make needle work quick and easy. My tea towel and transfer kits are the perfect introduction to traditional embroidery. Felt jewelry kits marry my love of jewelry making with lush felt beads and sparkling rhinestones. 
I began wholesaling my kits to quilt and fabric stores first, the web site and Etsy stores followed and are constantly growing. Last year I exhibited at the National Stationary Show and the business has grown into mainstream gift shops.  

6. What are you working on now?
I'm launching a new line of fairy kits that have been an absolute delight to work on. Magical fairies and unicorns come to life with Woolfelt and roving. The Fairies limbs are stuffed with chenille stems that make them pose-able. The dresses slide on and off, I already have ideas for felt boots and leaf dresses. I felt just like a kid playing in the woods photographing them. 

7. What do you do when you are not working?
Our two dogs demand to be walked in the woods at least once a day. I love to dance and make a point to get to Zumba a couple times a week. I always have a fiction book and knitting project close by. Most of all I love to hang out with my husband and daughter. We cook, walk the beach, enjoy movies and family game nights.

8. Perhaps an indelicate question, but people starting out want to know - what are your income sources?
My primary income source is kit sales. I do receive royalties from fabric, books and embroidery licensing contracts. I've always been grateful that my husband has had a traditional career which covers healthcare.  

9. If you could give one suggestion to someone starting out, what would it be?
Pursue what interests you, be open to new opportunities and give them a hundred percent. I'd also strongly advise choosing a life partner that will support your dreams. Not a day passes when I'm not grateful that I get to do what I love. I'll never stop actively learning and exploring new ideas that allow me to be creative. 

10. Where can people find you and/your products? (FB, blog, website, IG, Twitter, stores
http://www.heidiboyd.com @heidiboydcrafts on facebook, IG, Pinterest,twitter


Follow on Bloglovin


1 comment:

Thanks for stopping by. I'd love to hear from you.