Tuesday, November 1, 2016

Quilt Market 2016 Recap

This is what the floor of the George Brown Convention Center in Houston looked like when we arrived. This is serious business and companies spend a lot of money for their presentations, especially the fabric companies. The show is open to the trade only. Lookie Loos are not allowed.

I had a single booth and it was in a very nice location.

I had 3 great helpers for set up. You're not allowed to pin anything to the drapes, so we had to hang everythiNg from the top pipes or pin it to another quilt.

This is what my booth looked like all set up. I was very pleased. I love my new demo table. It breaks down into two bags. I made a felt background, and hung felt fish and turtles that I made from the Fishalicious pattern.

When I made the choice to go to Quilt Market, I decided to take advantage of every opportunity to share Curvalicious. There was "Sneak Peak", which was a glass display case right before you entered the convention floor. Curvalicious was in section C1.

Don had suggested using a silk Skinny quilt and it truly glowed in the light. It brought lots of people to the booth.

Friday morning, I had a 1/2 hour presentation, called Schoolhouse.

I was so afraid there would only be 3 people in the audience, but 36 people showed up, including a couple of my friends as supporters.

The Curvalicious girls were ready for the presentation. I had 2 Vannas!

This is the quick Curvalicious, Baby!

Next up was Sample Spree. This is an evening event, but we saw people lining up at lunchtime. It's an opportunity for attendees to purchase lesser quantities of items at wholesale prices. The fabric companies have lots of fat quarter bundles with fabric that will not be in the quilt shops for a few more months. We had a table and were selling a Curvalicious combo that included the ruler, Beachalicious, Fishalicious and the Tote Bag pattern.

The presentation was very eye catching and it certainly did the trick. We sold out!!

We fell into bed exhausted after all we did on Friday. The actual show started the next day, Saturday. This is what the show floor looked like Saturday morning.

It was quite a transformation.

Here's a photo of me with my first customers! The shop is located in Lowell, NC and it's called Sew Much Fun!

And here are some booth and quilt photos.

Carrie Bloomstons fabric for Windham. I love the bee.

Here's the Relax and Recharge Lounge for charging phones and confabbing.

The Relax and Recharge Loungs

Here's a quilt in the lounge apropos for Halloween.

Quilter's Dream batting

Stephanie and me with Tula Pink.

She is sewing the butterflies on by hand.

 
Sew Kind of Wonderful
 
Cotton and Steel now has cotton thread made by Sulky.
This display shows off the very cool ends of the spools.

The Moda fabric booth. Shops make appointments to order the newest fabric.

We sampled the local restaurants. The first night we had Tex Mex at Chuy's

And the second, we couldn't resist the House of Pies. Yum.

The show exceeded my wildest expectations. We met so many shop owners and industry people. There was truly a buzz going about Curvalicious and I'm coming home with no rulers. Someone even bought my demo! Color me HAPPY!!!

If you need one, you can always go to my Etsy shop.

My next post will include some photos of the quilt exhibit.

 

2 comments:

  1. I had a blast! I'm honored to be your friend and to be asked to help you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool behind the scenes post. You must need some serious "couching" after that event!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I'd love to hear from you.