Monday, November 15, 2010

Dyeing Black & White Fabric

Sometimes you just need a certain fabric for a project that you either can't find or doesn't exist.  I have an idea for a quilt using a black background.  I don't want to use solid black or a tone on tone.  I want something with a bit of color.  But most black fabrics with a bit of color are just too traditional for my design. 

Why can't I just dye a black and white fabric with a color?  I have quite a collection.  The black should stay black and the white will pick up the color.
The critical step is to make sure the fabric is scoured first - washing with the hottest water possible with synthropol and soda ash.

Using my regular method for dyeing, and letting it sit overnight before the washout, I was so pleased with the results.

I used the same dyes to do some thread dyeing.  I'll post about that tomorrow with my unique method for obtaining variegated thread.

3 comments:

  1. I love what you did with the black and white fabric! They are really great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheryl,
    I love the results of your dyeing! They are beautiful! Can't wait to see what you do with them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They turned out wonderful...what is it you are making now?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I'd love to hear from you.