Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Of All the Museums in Amsterdam ....

I arrived home yesterday from our bike & barge trip to Holland.  The laundry is done.  The suitcases are put away.  I am trying to do a bit of photo organization before I get back to daily work and life.  I have to hit the ground running, because I am giving a workshop on Saturday.  It's in Oxford, Pa  and the subject ifs creating an Embellished Beauty from a photo.  There are still a couple of spaces, so if you are interested, e-mail me.
 
We spent an extra day and a half in Amsterdam.  This city has a ton of museums, and you can buy a pass to see many of them for free.  The Dutch have many home grown artists, such as Rembrandt, Van Gogh and Hals,to name a small number, and they celebrate them all. After having my heart ripped out at the Anne Frank house, I rejoiced in the development of Van Gogh as an artist.
 
I did have a museum on my list that not many people would have on their own list, but if you like fabric and you sew, or like fashion, you would understand.  It's the Tassenmuseum Hendrikje.  They call it the Tassen for short and it's the museum of handbags and purses.  How could I not go there?  500 years of history and eye candy in a historic home?  Fortunately they have a cafe with WiFi, which is where my husband patiently waited.
 
I wish my photos came out better, but between the glass cases and the dark lighting,
these are my best ones. I hope you get the flavor of this wonderful place.
 

Seating in the lobby

School children's bags from the 1800's that they also used as their desk.
Can you see the derivation of the Pennsylvania Dutch motifs?



Hillary Clinton never looked better!

Lucite bags from the 50's


 
 

6 comments:

  1. That looks like a wonderful museum to visit and to see art that mirrors what the early settlers made here, definitely influences from around the world.

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  2. What fun! I was in Amsterdam for three days last year and would have loved to see this museum. I enjoyed your pictures from the last post, too. It brought back fond memories.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG, I'm in ecstasy, Cheryl!!!! Want more!!!! Or else I'm heading to Amsterdam!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so jealous! Would love to see that particular museum some day (not to mention the rest of the country, LOL!) Thanks for the mini-tour.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You bagged a great report, Cheryl. Tote-ally fun.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great trip and what a fun museum. Just a little correction though- Pennsylvania Dutch are not Holland Dutch they are German but the Dutch came as a corruption of the Germanic Dieutsch, which was the Germanic dialect spoken. The artistic influences came from the Germanic influence of southern Germany and also Switzerland as this was where the immigrants to Pennsylvania originated. I also originally thought that the Pennsylvania Dutch were originally from Holland until I spent some time in the region and learned that it was primarily Germanic.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I'd love to hear from you.