Friday, January 27, 2012

Scrappy Quilt #3


I brought a bunch of fabric with me to Key West that I wanted to use up.  I made 2 scrap quilt tops for our house in the Poconos.  You can see them here and here.  I had one more quilt on my "To Do" list from this pile of fabrics.   This quilt is for a community project in Israel.  I am heading to Israel in a few weeks and wanted to bring a quilt top with me for  "Quilts For Benji".

Men and women from around the world volunteer to join the Israeli army.  In 1998, a young man from London named Benji Hillman came to Israel to join the army and then lost his life fighting to protect Israel in 2006. These young people leave their family, friends and country and are willing to give their life for the people of Israel.  There is a group of women who want to show their gratitude and appreciation by making each of them a quilt for their bed in the army barracks. 

So I still had a pile of fabric left from my the other 2 scrappy quilts that I made.  Inspiration came to me on one of my morning walks here in Key West in front of The Banyon House.  Check out the sidewalk.


Here is a close-up.


It reminded me of the pattern, "Yellow Brick Road", published by Atkinson Designs.

I made a quick sketch, decided to make it a 12" block and designated the size of all the pieces.



This became my cutting list.  I also decided to make each piece the same color.  For some of the blocks, I did not have enough fabric, so I used multiple fabrics of the same color.



This is a finished block.


This is what the blocks looked like laid out on the floor as a quilt.  (I really miss my design wall.)



I intentionally used the gold fabric for the smallest piece and I really like what they did as the blocks came together.  I was not so crazy about the big patches of blue.

So I added a corner triangle to each of the blue patches and liked that much better as the blue rectangles came together.

I only need to bring the quilt top with me.  The quilters in Israel will make it into a quilt.  It's really a win-win, because then I will have extra room in my suitcase to bring souvenirs home!


3 comments:

  1. I like that insert of Gold in the middle of all the reds! Makes it so mysterious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Cheryl, This is so cool, thank you so much for making this quilt, I really appreciate it and look forward to quilting it for the project. Looking forward to meeting you and introducing you to my fellow quilters and the the Hillman family and to see the "House" coming up.
    great to read your blog and follow you on your weekly project.
    TerryM
    Israel

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I'd love to hear from you.