Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Scrappy Quilt Decisions

You all may think I am just playing in the Key West sunshine and my sewing machine is still packed.  I have been doing a lot of biking and walking and eating out, but I have also been sewing.

This is my set-up.  My sewing machine is on a 4ft pretty stable folding table.  It is placed right in front of a window facing the courtyard.                                  

Of course Bailey gets as close to me as she she possibly can.  If only I could teach her how to sew.
Sometimes she naps, but sometimes we both enjoy the view outside of the window.

My project has been a bit time consuming. I'm making a scrappy quilt for one of the beds in our mountain house. My goal is to make a quilt for each of the beds. 
 I cut out, fused and blanket stitched 288 leaves for half of the blocks for the quilt.

But I am getting ahead of myself. I brought a bunch of light and dark fabrics from home.  First I cut up my light fabrics.  I needed 72 - 6 1/2" squares and a bunch of 2 1/2" strips.  So I ended up with 4 piles:
6 1/2" Squares

2 1/2" strips


Leftover scraps for another project



Trash






In addition to all of the off white pieces, I also cut 2 1/2" strips from lots of colored scraps.  I then made 9 patch blocks - 70 of them.


This was the intended layout, alternating the 9 patches and the orange peel block.  I thought I would see a diagonal movement throughout the quilt. 

I like it but I couldn't help but wonder what if I put all of the orange peel blocks together. 

 I really like the way the blocks interact.  The petals will touch once the blocks are sewn together and give a circular look.  But what would I do with all of the 9 patch blocks? And I would have to spend days making more of the orange peel blocks.  But I could combine them - someyhing along these lines.

I think I need to sleep on this.  Any thoughts?  I would appreciate your comments.


6 comments:

  1. I prefer the quilt with only the orange peels... but since you put all that work into the 9 patch blocks, they look good alternating with the orange peels.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the idea of the petals touching. Use the 9 patches for the back?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the nine patch blocks surrounding the orange peel blocks the best. I would put another column of nine patches on the right to even it out. I like the nine patches at the top to cover the pillow area too. It is a clever arrangement. Something different.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the alternating orange peel and nine patch. It is really beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah, decisions, decisions.....and what a wonderful place to contemplate such quilty goodness. How lucky you are to be in Key West for so very long - how long do you get to stay there???

    Have loved seeing your project, and since you've asked...I like the orange peels alternating with the 9-patches, but truthfully, could only just look at it briefly, before I found my eyeballs getting tired. There's movement, all right, but no where to rest (for me, anyway).

    Turns out, I prefer the peels surrounded by the blocks, but I think you need another column of blocks on the right (I like things centered I guess).

    I love sewing, more than eating, and more than just about anything, but I really don't see how you have accomplished all that, with everything there is to see & do in Key West! I'd surely be too distracted!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a lovely place to sew - a great little table! Can you get an extension cord and sew in the courtyard with your assistant?
    It's so interesting how we all have different opinions about the blocks. I just love the first option with the alternating blocks. To me, it's a softer, more peaceful combination. Your colors are wonderful! I love your projects that come from your Key West trips - I need to visit Key West. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I'd love to hear from you.