Wednesday, June 3, 2015

What's Love Got To Do With It?

There is much upset in Paris, the city of love.  We walked by the Pont des Arts and it was barricaded to pedestrians.  The locks of love bridge was being dismantled.  That is 45 tons of padlocks were being removed.  Tourists write their names on the locks, fasten them to the grill work of the bridge and  then throw the key into the Seine, professing their love forever.   Who knew that we would be observers of anti-love history?  The problem is that the weight of the locks is destroying the bridge.


Now they are covering the grill work with plywood that has been painted by artists and later, plexiglass will protect the bridge and still allow a view of  the Seine without allowing the placement of these locks.  Do you remember seeing these locks as a challenge on Amazing Race?  



The grill work on the bridge brings to mind all of the ironwork that I find as inspiration for my quilts. Why do I often find my feet in photos?  I am taking pix of the utility manholes on the streets and sidewalks.  I have a folder of them from all the cities that I visit.  These are some to add to my collection from France.



And I love door hasps and any other architectural iron details.


Can't you see a quilt?

3 comments:

  1. looks like you are having a grand time! sad about the locks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Too much of a good thing always causes problems -- too much weight - 45 tons that they weren't planning on when they built the bridge and so things must change and love will find another way to express itself. I hear its happening on other bridges too and they will have to be removed in time. And throwing the keys in the river - they could have created a neat sculpture with all those keys.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great grill work! Inspiration for sure

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I'd love to hear from you.