Monday, July 14, 2014

Where Do I Buy My Silk?

I am often asked where do I by my dupioni silk. Although Philadelphia has a fabric district, it is a mere shadow of what it used to be, so I hop on the bus and travel to the garment district of NYC. This is my shop:

It's called Butterfly Fabrics or Bazar Fabrics, located on 39th street. All the fabrics in the store are from India. Looking at all their beautiful fabrics, I wish I had a fancy event to attend because I would love a ball gown made from many of their them. This is their wall of silk dupioni:

If I won the lottery I would buy 1 yard of every single color. My favorite ones are those that are iridescent made using a different color silk thread for the warp and the weft. I was there shopping for my upcoming workshop at the Mid Appalachian Quilts education seminar.

There's construction everywhere in NY. This is outside of the shop.Lots of scaffolding.

I met my cousin who lives in Manhatten when I was done shopping. We visited the Hell's Kitchen Flea. I passed it walking to the Garment District from the bus stop and it looked irresistible. I don't know what came over me, but I couldn't resist these African masks.

And I bought one!

My cousin spoils me when we get together. She had a list of things we could do, but we ended up catching up and visiting with her dear, sweet dog. She did take me to the roof of her apartment building and what a treat that was.

And look at these views:

Empire State Building

The Chrysler Building. This is my favorite building in the city. I remember when I did a Wednesdays Wandering block about this building. You can see the post HERE.

And I love these old water cisterns.

And of course we had lunch at a wonderful deli. I had the most delicious matzah ball soup with half a summery egg salad sandwich on real rye bread - that's with carroway seeds. Yum!

 

 

4 comments:

  1. Hey, Butterfly Fabrics! That's where I go! I was so disappointed when I didn't have a chance to stop by there on my most recent visit to the states. :( I don't remember that color chart, is it new? But, I did get to City Quilter. REAL rye bread, we miss that here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love rye bread! Do people actually buy rye bread without carroway seeds? That's just wrong. If you win the lottery, could you buy me a yard of every color silk, too? Oh, and a Mercedes Benz.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am always impressed how easily you take off to New York! I get anxious going to the big cities. I love that mask you bought.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I'd love to hear from you.