Thursday, November 10, 2011

The Finished Silk Quilts

I am ready to share the quilts I made from the dupioni silk.  Each of the wallhangings I created were made from 96 HSTs, sewn from 6 fat quarters.  After experimenting with different layouts, I chose the layout that I felt looked the best with each particular colorway. 



This is the flamingo colorway in a zig zag pattern:


This is the jewelbox colorway in a barn raising pattern:


And this is the Rusty Nail colorway in a Straight Furrow layout:


I really love them all.


I also varied the quilting for all of the quilts.

 The quilting was done with a walking foot, 1/4" on either side of the seams for the rusty nail quilt.


 This was quilted with a free motion foot with these stylized kinda leaves.


And finally the Zig Zag quilt was done with a walking foot mimcing the zig zag pattern.


If you missed my tips for sewing with dupioni, you can find them here: Taming Dupioni Silk 

I have some exciting news concerning these projects that I'll make in the next few days.

5 comments:

  1. I have decided that you need to make some more quilts from bright silks because they make ME happy! LOL
    These look gorgeous!!! In person and in these shots!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh so beautiful! I can,t wait to see them in person. Love the fm quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your quilts are lovely! I, too, love working with Dupioni silk. I have made quilts using just the silk and I often mix it in with my hand dyes. I love the subtle sheen it has and especially like the way it looks when quilted.

    ReplyDelete
  4. They look great, the colors are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. THANKS FOR THE LOVELY COMMENTS! I AM GLAD YOU LIKE THE POST ASWELL! MORE TO COME!
    Silk Sheets

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I'd love to hear from you.