Monday, November 14, 2011

Fun Baby Block Gift


I needed a baby gift.  I saw an adorable baby playing with a stuffed baby block with  tags on a blog called Simplify .  It is featured in the winter issue of  Quilts & More .  I did not have time to go out and buy the magazine, so I searched and found a bunch of different methods for putting the block together on the Internet.
 I chose the steps I liked from a few of the blogs and added a few twists of my own.  I always like to streamline projects by combining steps to make them easier and quicker. 
 It is easier to adapt someone else's directions.  Here is my method.
Start with 7" squares of 6 different fabrics.
 Quilt with a walking foot.
 Embroider the baby's name or add a fusible letter or any kind of applique.
 Trim the squares to 6 1/2" and lay them out in the shape of a cross.
 This is the most important step and one that was present in everyone's directions.  Mark the seam allowance in each corner, on the wrong side.  I used a 1/4" seam allowance so my mark was 1/4" in from each side.

Choose an assortment of colorfast ribbons and rick rack and cut them to 4".

 
 Sew 2 squares together with a 1/4" seam allowance, starting and stopping with a few backstitches at the mark in the corner. Include 1 or 2 pieces of ribbon in the seam.   Press.
 After sewing the 6 squares together in the shape of a cross, its' time to start making the cube shape.  Continue sewing the sides together making sure you start and stop at the corner mark.  Leave a 3" opening when attaching the last side.  Stuff. I like mine loosely stuffed.  Whipstitch the opening closed.


Welcome to the world baby Chloe.  I think you will enjoy this in a few months.

3 comments:

  1. I love this block. I have a few friends I am going to make these for.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheryl, this is soooo cute and thanks for such great directions and photos!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I'd love to hear from you.