There are advantages and disadvantages to having a scientific background. For me, the biggest disadvantage is that when thinking about a project, I envision all the permutations and variations.
I can't help myself. It's very hard to constrain myself. I work very hard to FOCUS - sometimes.
I made this zippered pouch before I left for Key West using the tutorial for easy zippy pouches on a blog called dog under my desk. The directions are wonderful and if you have ever struggled to insert a zipper into a pouch, Erin shows you the easiest way ever.
The directions are for a pretty small pouch. It was too small for my purposes. I enlarged the directions and made this pouch to carry my key, money, credit cards and phone when I rode my bike.
I knew I wanted to make more and brought fabric with me for this purpose. It was supposed to be one fun day while working on my Bailey quilt. One day turned into 3 days, because I just kept imagining all the possibilities. I ended up with 12 zippy pouches and a handbag!
A trio from my new favorite color combination- orange and pink!
It's a batik. I really like choosing a contrasting zipper color.
This bag was cut as 10"x13". I added a gusset. they are very easy to do.
These smaller pouches were made 2 at a time.
I quilted a 10"x10" square and then cut it in half to 5"x10".
These long pouches can be use as pencil cases or for brushes or for a rotary cutter.
They are both made from fabric treated with vinyl The starting dimension was 9"x11".
I put a piece of batting inside of the bicycle one.
I do love this bicycle fabric. I started with 1/2yd that I bought on a visit to The City Quilter in NYC. I see more zippered pouches in its future.
Not so successful use of a photo printed on fabric.
Not enough contrast and the stitching was too distracting.
Successful use of a photo on fabric. A gift for a friend.
So then I thought, why couldn't a make a shoulder bag using this zippered pouch technique.
At first I was going to choose a nice conservative black fabric, but decided to use a WOW! fabric.
Looking at it finished I realized that it is not really that wow,
so maybe next time I will choose a show stopper.
This started with a sandwich measuring 10"x 18".
After quilting it, I added an inside pocket.
I sewed a bottom seam and then I stitched down the middle.
I like a place where it is easy to find my phone and camera.
This is the hardware that I used. There are not a lot of places to shop for sewing supplies here, but I found the clips at Ben Franklin. The plastic for the strap handle, I 'borrowed" from the back strap of an inexpensive backpack.
I think it will make a great, lightweight travel purse.
It fits across my body - and it's adjustable.
Now that I have had a play day that turned into 3 days, it's time to get back to the Bailey quilt.